Afghan Taliban claim deadly vehicle bomb attack in Kabul

Aaron Brown
March 19, 2018

A auto bomb explosion claimed by the Taleban in Kabul yesterday killed at least two civilians, as the militants kept up pressure on the Afghan capital amid growing calls for peace talks.

A member of the Afghan security force keeps watch at the site of a suicide bomb attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, March 2, 2018. It said the attack destroyed two foreign vehicles and killed between six and 10 people, but it denied any Afghan civilians were killed.

Interior Ministry deputy spokesman Nasrat Rahimi confirmed the Saturday attack, which was claimed by the Taliban.

Several others were wounded in the morning rush-hour suicide blast in an industrial area of the city that Afghanistan's Interior Ministry said had been meant to strike global security company G4S.

The pre-planned blast took place when many people were driving to work and educational institutes.

Health Ministry spokesman Wahid Majrooh told AFP at least four people had been wounded in the explosion.

The President of the Academy Awards is under investigation for sexual harassment
The organisation also insisted there would be no further statements "until the full review is completed". When asked about that by Variety past year , Bailey said, "What you just said is bulls-".

US, France, Germany join United Kingdom over spy poisoning row
Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May speaks to members of military as she visits Salisbury southwest England, March 15, 2018. Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov responded, saying Johnson's claims violated all rules of diplomatic protocol.

Two killed as Navy fighter jet crashes near Key West, Florida
They were training with Carrier Air Wing 8 when witnesses said a flash of fire surrounded the Super Hornet before it dropped. Navy officials say a fighter jet has crashed off the coast of Key West, Florida, and rescue efforts are underway.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast.

Earlier this week, General John Nicholson, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, said security in Kabul would be "the main effort" for global powers helping Afghan defence and security forces. "All occupiers were killed", he said.

The deceased people were all civilians, reports said.

"They have done the bare minimum to appear responsive to our requests", the official added, citing the need to prod the Taliban toward the negotiating table and round-up militants.

The Taliban has been resurgent since the withdrawal of US-led North Atlantic Treaty Organisation combat troops at the end of 2014, taking back territory and devastating Afghanistan's beleaguered security forces.

Over the same period, the watchdog said, the number of districts under Afghan government control or influence fell to its lowest level since December 2015.

Other reports by Free-Prsite

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER