Australia terror probe: Man released without charge

Aaron Brown
August 5, 2017

On Saturday night, authorities led by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) were involved in five raids which resulted in the arrest of four men in Sydney, after police were tipped off that there was a plot afoot to bring down a plane over Australia.

A 50-year-old man was released on Wednesday without charge.

It is unclear when the close call occurred, although it was before police launched their investigation into the Sydney men last week.

Four men were arrested in raids in several suburbs in Sydney, Australia's largest city, at the weekend and are being held without charge under special terror-related powers.

Unidentified officials told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation the suspects - reportedly Lebanese-Australian - might have links to the Islamic State (IS) group in Syria.

Arriving at the airport much earlier than your actual flight time is good advice in general, but thanks to recently introduced "security measures" from the government, the major airlines are now recommending global passengers arrive up to three hours before their scheduled departure times and two hours for domestic trips.

"That's caused a lot of damage to him".

Aamir Khan wishes Jab Harry Met Sejal team ahead of release tomorrow
The opening day box office collection is expected to hit more than Rs 20 crore and it might cross Rs 100 crore in its first week. Anushka Sharma appeared in a trendy outfit with a coat style long outfit over a checked top.

President Trump suggests firing top general for 'losing' Afghan war
But NBC said a Defense Department official confirmed that discussions are taking place about the general's future in Afghanistan . Mattis, who mounted a vocal defense of Nicholson, left the meeting "visibly upset", according to the report.

Karnataka IT raids: EC seeks report from finance ministry on Congress complaint
Minister Shivakumar and his brother Suresh also had two separate rooms booked at the resort from the last five days. The cash was recovered from his residence in south Delhi's Safdarjung neighbourhood.

"We believe it would enhance airport security if all airline staff who have access to aircraft, were screened to the same level as personnel entering through the terminal".

The alarming plot allegedly involved an improvised device and the target was a plane, with one theory suggesting the would-be terrorists planned to use a meat grinder to hide their home-made device.

Neither NSW or Australian Federal Police would comment on the matter when contacted by news.com.au because the investigation is ongoing.

An Australian-born terrorism plot to place a bomb on a passenger plane was dangerously close to being carried out before it was unwittingly thwarted at an airline check-in counter. "I will review police action".

"Some will be obvious to travellers and others will not", the Prime Minister said. He said the alleged plot was foiled but Australians should remain vigilant about the threat of an attack.

Etihad Airways has confirmed it is helping Australian authorities with the investigation after the arrests came following a tip-off from foreign intelligence services.

Other reports by Free-Prsite

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER